…..most people dont do appreciate music for what it really is. Most correlate music with fashion and beauty. For years I have said that I dont like groups like New Homos on the Block, Nstink, The Backdoor Boys…etc…why? No im not jealous of them because they attract women. In fact the reason I dislike these groups is because what they stand for. Below I will explain why i feel this way.
1. They dont play instruments. Music cannot be created without instruments. sure you can sing lyrics but no matter how you say them they are still just that…lyrics…words. Music brings out the sound. The guitar makes the melody. The drums and bass keep the beat. All-together it becomes music. A group that sings songs and doesn’t play instruments is not a band. They are a group. Having someone else play the instruments doesn’t make them musicians.
2. They dont write their own lyrics. simply said! They don’t. Record companies pay songwriters to write hit songs for these people. Ever wonder why you see some old geezers at the awards shows getting an award when you dont know who the fuck they are? Yup those are the guys/gals that wrote the songs that your so-called beloved groups sing.
3. Longevity! Bands that write music have a much longer lifespan in my opinion. some wither and die quickly but those that survive can keep going. Boy groups dont last. Wanna know why? They are record company creations made to last a set number of years to make them money. in the process they turn a bunch of skinny males into celebrities. Look at bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rush, The Who, Pink Floyd….etc…Even though some of those bands have had line-up changes they have with-stood the test of time. They have lasted decades. sure Pink Floyd has retired because of the death of a founding member and because they decided to call it a day but that was their own choice. They didnt lose popularity. There are millions of Floyd fans. Rush has been around for around 40 years now. 40! Thats longevity! Thats staying together for the sake of making music and loving it. Not making money to make some execs richer. Which brings me to my next point…..
4. Milking the fans. Women are easily attracted. The record labels made Nstink, The Backdoor Boys…etc….They knew that if they could get some hit songs together and get some fruity ass skinny guys together that women would wet their panties over they would make millions. So hence the birth of the boy groups all over again. Come one women face it. Admit it. If those groups members were fat, overweight men you would not care to listen to the music. What I mean by milking the fans though is this….They make all this merch, merchandise for those of you that dont understand roadie lingo lol and you people buy it. Im a fan of many bands…rock bands but im not going to go out and buy a poster of a bunch of guys and hang it on my wall. Im not going to go buy a notebook with a bunch of dudes on the cover and flaunt it. Women on the other hand do this. They buy EVERYTHING with those guys faces on it. T-shirts, panties, notebooks, cups, coffee mugs, mouse pads, pencils, pens…etc..you get the picture! Sure its marketing but it gets out of hand and guess who pays for it all? Thats right you people! If you have teeniebopper little girls then you know this. How many of you now are buying Jonas Fags and Justin Beiber merch for your little daughters now? Im sure ALL Of you. These people have NO talent and are record company concoctions designed to make them money because of a face that is marketable and women will go crazy over. If the sold concert tickets for $1000 G.A. i bet women would still pay for them. Hell they buy shoes, purses and all that jazz are use them so little!!! lol
5. Fashion and Beauty There is alot rolled up in this one. People seem to be attracted to artists based on how they act and what they wear. Women include beauty into that equation. If Nsync was a bunch of fat guys do you think the women and little girls would like their music? NOPE! Thats a fact! If i lined up 100 women and asked them that question 99 would say NO and 1 would probably say they didnt care. People seem to be into looks and fashion so much these days. Hating on people because they wear cheaper clothes. Hating on a rock band because maybe they are full of tattoos on their bodies or because they wear jeans with holes all up in them. Put Jay-Z in holey jeans and full of tattoos and i bet the women would still like him. See, women base their musical tastes on looks. Not all but many. Sadly though even the rocker girls will do this. Many will say how hot Corey Taylor is or how hot Justin Beiber is or how hot Jay-Z is. Why does it matter what the fuck they look like? I think Britney Spears and Xtina are beautiful women in their own ways. Maybe they dress weird or have a lil more to love in some areas but so what? So yes I think they are beautiful women but that doesn’t mean I like their music. I couldn’t care less for their work honestly. Maybe a few songs here and there but thats it. I dont relate myself to liking a band or group or singer based on one song or how they look. Sadly, thats what people do today. Music is about MUSIC! Not about the looks. That is why I appreciate Slipknot so much. Their statement with the masks says it all. People look at them and say how disgusting they look and that they would never listen to their music. I had one girl say she hated Corey Taylor and thought he was ugly. Then she went on to say how much she loved the song Bother and I told her that Bother was sung by Slipknot’s singer….Corey Taylor. She was like “shut up your lying….” Look it up! Then she started to eat her words. That same girl now actually likes Slipknot now. Why? Because she took the time to look past LOOKS and appreciate the music.
I have always had strong feelings about this subject. Most dont agree with me. Thats fine. Many people can openly hear what I am saying and accept that what I am saying is not 100% true because not everyone does this but that there is a percentage of music fans out there that really do base their tastes on how the artist looks. That is really sad. Its sort of like the kids that say “such and such is a sellout because they wrote a slow song…” That is about the most absurd fucking thing I have ever heard. Slipknot is a heavy ass band. They made a statement on the Kimmel Show that a band that looks the way they do can write something so powerful and have a huge effect on people. When Paul Gray, the bassist of Slipknot died the band really died. Paul being a founding member and all. For years I heard Slipknot fans grow up as the band progressed. They really began to appreciate music more. So when Snuff came out it was not openly accepted by many at first. Many fans called them sellouts because they wrote a slow song and because they dont appreciate music the way others do. that song is now a staple to the name of Slipknot. Snuff has become what Surfacing has been. A trademark song. Now that Paul has died many listen to Snuff as a way to cope with his death. I do all the time. I play that song when I get the chance on guitar. I listen to it. It makes me think of the good times.
I think if people can learn to appreciate music for what it is and not what the record companies want you to believe it is then you will understand what i am saying more. ALL of this article is coming from a guy that listens to all types of music. Classical, instrumental, flamenco, spanish, rock, metal, alternative, old school rap, country…etc…..Men appreciate music much more than women because we love the music we love because of the music itself. We dont care how Seal, Jay-Z, Slash, Manson, etc looks. We just like their music. Women always want to think of how hot or ugly and artist is and they base their love of that artist on looks. Thats sad. But as i said earlier, not all do this but a large majority do….Those are the people that never will understand the concept of appreciating music…….